Passerini, an Italian restaurant owned by Roman chef Giovanni Passerini, is the top Italian restaurant outside of Italy according to 50 Top Italy, a list created from a project of LSDM (a gourmet cooking congress that has been held in Paestum since 2008) which is curated by the creators Barbara Guerra and Albert Sapere in collaboration with the journalist Luciano Pignataro.
The second spot went to Don Alfonso 1890 in Toronto with the third spot going to Heinz Beck in Tokyo. These restaurants are managed by two of the most important names in the Italian restaurant sector, the Iaccarino family who revolutionised the concept of Mediterranean cooking from Sant’Agata sui Due Golfi and Heinz Beck, a German who set his roots in Rome and created La Pergola, a temple of gastronomy.
The fourth and fifth positions go to Acquarello in Munich, and 8 ½ Bombana, in Hong Kong, restaurants led by two Italian chefs living abroad for some time now, Mario Gamba and Umberto Bombana.
The top 50 is dominated by Europe with 18 restaurants in the list followed by North America with 16 (14 in the United States and 2 in Canada) and then by Asia with 10.
There are 3 restaurants in Latin America (2 in Brazil and 1 in Mexico), 1 in Australia, 1 in South Africa, and 1 in the United Arab Emirates.
The leading city is New York with 7 restaurants, followed by Paris and Hong Kong with 4 , and then 2 in London, Copenhagen, Singapore, Tokyo, Bangkok and Washington.
The organisers of the list said the restaurants present in the guide are able to offer, in terms of their cooking, style and authenticity of the products, a slice of Italian culture.
Another common and fundamental characteristic is that of possessing a gastronomic philosophy for those who propose Italain cooking abroad, which we could define as 2.0. And therefore a cooking with solid roots in tradition, but at the same time open to new horizons, open to the reciprocal contamination that manages to make an intelligent use of the products in the local terriory.
All of these parameters were taken into account by the 350 inspectors of 50 Top Italy in the world, coordinated by Guido Barendson.
On Monday 2 December at the Teatro Eliseo in Rome, the names of the 50 best restaurants in Italy will be announced. They are divided into four price ranges which is a novelty and unique to this guide.
- 1. Restaurant Passerini, Paris, France
- 2. Don Alfonso 1890, Toronto, Canada
- 3. Heinz Beck Restaurant, Tokyo, Japan
- 4. 8 1/2 Bombana, Hong Kong
- 5. Acquarello, Munich, Germany
- 6. Locanda Locatelli, London, UK
- 7. Marea, New York, United States
- 8. Il Ristorante Luca Fantin, Tokyo, Japan
- 9. Locanda dell Angelo, Hong Kong
- 10. LuMi dining, Sydney, Australia
- 11. Aromi, Prague, Czech Republic
- 12. Il Lago, Genève, Switzerland
- 13. Restaurant Era Ora, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 14. Tosca, Genève, Switzerland
- 15. Fiola DC, Washington, United States
- 16. Il Gattopardo, New York, United States
- 17. Grissini, Hong Kong
- 18. La Scala Bangkok, Thailand
- 19. Braci, Singapore
- 20. Gianni restaurant, Bangkok, Thailand
- 21. Vetri Cucina, Philadelphia, United States
- 22. La Bottega, Genève, Switzerland
- 23. Acquerello, San Francisco, United States
- 24. Restaurant Le George, Paris, France
- 25. Ristorante Hotel Cipriani, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 26. Mancini, Stockholm, Sweden
- 27. Lilia Ristorante, New York, United States
- 28. L’Osteria del Becco, Mexico City, Mexico
- 29. The Artisan by Enoteca Pinchiorri, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- 30. Pelago Ristorante, Chicago, United States
- 31. Buona Terra, Singapore
- 32. Cioppino’s Mediterranean Grill and Enoteca, Vancouver, Canada
- 33. Paola’s Restaurant, New York, United States
- 34. Pianeta Terra, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 35. Dilia, Paris, France
- 36. Ristorante San Giorgio, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 37. Al Fiori, New York, United States
- 38. Picchi Restaurante, Sao Paolo, Brazil
- 39. Senzanome, Brussels, Belgium
- 40. Piccola Cucina, New York, United States
- 41. Maritozzo, Moscow, Russia
- 42. Al Tiramisu, Washington, United States
- 43. Brera Restaurant, Los Angeles, United States
- 44. Del Posto, New York, United States
- 45. Sartoria Restaurant, London, UK
- 46. Carmelo Greco, Frankfurt, Germany
- 47. 95 Keerom, Cape Town, South Africa
- 48. Racines, Paris, France
- 49. Giando Italian restaurant, Hong Kong
- 50. Belotti Restaurant, Oakland, United States