BARCELONA: Chef Björn Frantzén has been won the Best Chef Top100 Award for 2019 followed by Joan Roca (winner of the previous two editions) and David Muñoz in third place.
The 2019-list includes chefs from 24 countries worldwide and features 15 new entries among which is Disfrutar, the restaurant in Barcelona which made the highest jump.
The winners of The Best Chef Awards 2019
- The Best Chef Top100 Award : Björn Frantzén of restaurant Frantzén in Stockholm, Sweden. The second place was for Joan Roca (Spain), who won the award in 2017 and 2018, the third place went to David Muñoz (Spain). Last year, Björn Frantzén took the fourth place after David Muñoz (third place), René Redzepi (second place) and Joan Roca (first place).
- The Best Chef City Gourmet Award winner: Disfrutar with Mateu Casañas, Oriol Castro and Eduard Xatruch (Barcelona, Spain). This category of award recognized the best chef and restaurant in the host city of the yearly award show.
- The Best Chef Rising Star Award winner: Pía León of restaurant Kjolle in Lima, Peru. This young chef won this award as an appreciation for her talent and progress in the world of gastronomy.
- The Best Chef Fol-LOVERS Award winner: Grégoire Berger of restaurant Ossiano in Dubai. It is already the second year in a row for Grégoire Berger to win this award, that was introduced in 2018 to value the opinion of the audience of The Best Chef’s followers on social media.
- The Best Chef Pastry Award winner: Jordi Roca of restaurant El Cellar de Can Roca in Girona, Spain.
- The Best Chef Food Art Award winner: Daniel Watkins of restaurant St Leonards in London, UK. This award is dedicated to the Best Artist among all chefs.
- The Best Chef New Entry Award winner: Disfrutar with Mateu Casañas, Oriol Castro and Eduard Xatruch, in Barcelona, Spain. This category award honours the chef(s) who achieved the highest ranking amongst the new candidates.
- The Best Chef Voted by Chefs Award winner: Grant Achatz of restaurant Alinea in Chicago, USA. This award is dedicated to chef mostly voted by other chefs.
- The Best Chef Legend Award winner: Eckart Witzigmann. This category award celebrates the best chef who is not active in the kitchen as a chef anymore, but who still has a crucial impact on the world of gastronomy.
Each year 100 new chefs are selected by The Best Chef’s collaborators and added to the previous year’s Top100 list. Next, all included chefs begin to vote for their peers. The chefs have 10 choices, counting for 1000 points to 100 points, in order to decide who will be the last 100 chef finalists.
They vote for the chef as a person, recognizing his talent, experience, potential as well as his personality.
Afterwards culinary professionals, photographers, artists, and fol-LOVERS can vote for their favourite chefs in the Top100 list. The culinary professionals vote via a secured survey. In the last stage of the voting procedure the fol-LOVERS can vote via the web page of The Best Chef.
A global award gala
The awards gala is a global event with chefs from all over the world, travelling from the United States, Mexico, the United Arab Emirates, Japan and from all over Europe. This year, the chefs attended The Best Chef Awards Gala at the University of Barcelona. Chef Joan Roca (El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain), who won The Best Chef Award in 2017 and 2018, served dinner after the Awards Gala.