This year’s 51-100 list of The World’s Best Restaurants welcomes 11 new entries after the number of overall votes was significantly expanded. The diversity of the list is enhanced by the wider reach of the voting Academy in 2017.
The list released today includes restaurants from 24 countries with the USA leading with nine restaurants. Spain and France count four entries each. The highest new entry is Disfrutar (No. 55) in Barcelona which this year also won the One to Watch award.
The 2017 list includes debuts from Mexico (Sud 777, 75), USA (Atelier Crenn, 83), Russia (Selfie, 88), South Korea (Mingles, 89), Denmark (Kadeau, 94), Japan (Sushi Saito, 97 and Florilège, 99) and Brazil (Olympe, 100).
Hiša Franko in Kobarid, Slovenia, is also among the first-time entries. Fronted by Ana Roš, named The World’s Best Female Chef 2017, Hiša Franko placed 69th.
New York’s Momofuku Ko makes the most significant climb, rising 39 places. Among the nine USA restaurants in the 51-100 list, Momofuku Ko claims the highest ranking at 58.
Nine establishments honoured at this year’s Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants awards, which took place in Bangkok in February, are included on the 2017 51-100 list, including three from Japan. Tokyo’s Nihonryori RyuGin (52) claims the top ranking among Asia’s entries, one place ahead of Singapore’s Burnt Ends (53). Odette in Singapore, winner of the Highest New Entry at Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants awards, debuts at 86 while 81⁄2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana in Hong Kong rises 26 places to 60.
The 51-100 list includes five restaurants honoured at the 2016 Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants awards ceremony. Mexico’s Biko (65) lands ahead of newcomer Sud 777 (75) as well as Brazil- based entries Lasai (76), Maní (81) and Olympe (100), the latter making its debut on the list.
Among the four entries from France, La Grenouillère, in the rural setting of La Madelaine-sous- Montreuil, leads the contingent at 64, ahead of three established but very different Parisian restaurants – Le Cinq (80), Le Chateaubriand (93) and Epicure (96).
The UK counts three London-based restaurants on the list, namely Lyle’s (54), St. John (91) and Hedone (98).
The 51-100 list originates from the votes of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants Academy as part of same process that creates the 1-50 ranking. For 2017, the Academy was expanded to include 1,040 voters worldwide, with each member casting 10 votes for their best restaurants (up from 7 in 2016). Of these 10 choices, at least 4 must be for restaurants outside of the voter’s home region.
This expansion increased the number of overall voters by some 52%. It provides a significantly wider data set from which to identify the next generation of world-class restaurants, as well as up-and-coming cuisines, regions and movements.
The list from 51 to 100
- 51. Mikla (Istanbul, Turkey)
- 52. Nihonryori RyuGin (Tokyo, Japan)
- 53. Burnt Ends (Singapore)
- 54. Lyle’s (London, England)
- 55. Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain)
- 56. Nerua (Bilbao, Spain)
- 57. Faviken (Jarpen, Sweden)
- 58. Momofuku Ko (New York City, USA),
- 59. Combal Zero, (Rivoli, Italy)
- 60. 81/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana (Hong Kong, China)
- 61. Hertog Jan (Bruges, Belgium)
- 62. Quique Dacosta (Denia, Spain)
- 63. The Test Kitchen (Cape Town, South Africa)
- 64. La Grenouillere (La Madelaine-sous-Montreuil, France)
- 65. Biko (Mexico City, Mexico)
- 66. Estela (New York, USA)
- 67. Benu (San Francisco, USA)
- 68. The French Laundry (Yountville, USA)
- 69. Hisa Franco (Kodarid. Slovenia)
- 70. Aqua (Wolfsburg, Germany)
- 71. Lung King Heen (Hong Kong, China)
- 72. Schloss Schauenstein (Furstenau, Switzerland)
- 73. La Colombe (Cape Town, South Africa)
- 74. The Jane (Antwerp, Belgium)
- 75. Sud 777 (Mexico City, Mexico)
- 76. Lasai (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- 77. Martin Berasategui (Lasarte-Oria, Spain)
- 78. Indian Accent (New Delhi, India)
- 79. Maaemo (Oslo, Norway)
- 80. Le Cinq (Paris, France)
- 81. Mani (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- 82. Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare (New York, USA)
- 83. Atelier Crenn (San Francisco, USA)
- 84. The Restaurant at Meadowood (St Helena, USA)
- 85. Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
- 86. Odette (Singapore)
- 87. Per Se (New York, USA)
- 88. Selfie (Moscow, Russia)
- 89. Mingles (Seoul, Korea)
- 90. Manresa (Los Gatos, USA)
- 91. St John (London, England)
- 92. Twins (Moscow, Russia)
- 93. Le Chateaubriand (Paris, France)
- 94. Kadeau (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- 95. Quay (Sydney, Australia)
- 96. Epicure (Paris, France)
- 97. Sushi Salto (Tokyo, Japan)
- 98. Hedone (London, England)
- 99. Florilege (Tokyo, Japan)
- 100. Olympe (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)