Saison, Joshua Skenes’ restaurant has been named the number one restaurant in the United States by the Opinionated about Dining list.
The list created by Steve Plotnicki is based on surveys filled by diners. The US list follows the publication of the European list a few days ago and is released just five days before the World’s 50 Best restaurant list which will this year be announced in New York for the first time.
In awarding Skenes’ restaurant, OAD said that the chef serves aged fish, and offers a service of ducks that have been dry-aged for 32 and 70 days. Skenes also pushes the envelope in the way he uses the wood-burning grill on the restaurant’s patio. Rather than cook on a grate, Skenes might place ingredients directly in the ash or set them right next to a pile of flaming logs.
Skenes has moved Saison into shiny new quarters in San Francisco’s SoMa district; he also serves a more casual menu in the restaurant’s lounge. Skenes also recently added an eight-person chef’s tasting counter to the restaurant.
The Willows Inn came in second while David Kinch’s Manresa was third. Alinea was fourth while Damon Baehrel was fifth. The letter serves only a handful of tables at a time and there is reportedly a five-year waiting list and it took a number of years for it to attract a sufficient number of reviews so that it would qualify for this list. OAD said the restaurant was a one-man band named Damon Baehrel, who does everything from raise most of the ingredients used at the restaurant (which includes growing and milling his own flour for bread), to cooking, serving, and even bussing the dishes. If you are lucky enough to snag a table, be prepared for a 23-course extravaganza that will last for hours.
The following is the list of 100 US restaurants.
- Saison (Joshua Skenes)
- The Willows Inn (Blaine Wetzel)
- Manresa (David Kinch)
- Alinea (Grant Achatz)
- Damon Baehrel (Damon Baehrel)
- The Restaurant at Meadowood (Craig Kostow)
- Blue Hill at Stone Barns (Dan Barber)
- Sushi Taro (Omakase Counter) (Nobu Yamazaki)
- Catbird Seat
- Urasawa (Masayoshi Takayama)
- minibar (Jose Andres)
- Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare (Cesar Ramirez)
- é by José Andrés
- Aubergine (Justin Cogley)
- Eleven Madison Park (Daniel Humm)
- Blanca (Carlo Mirarchi)
- Jean George
- Tempura Matsui (Masao Matsui)
- Masa (Masa Takayama)
- Kyo Ya
- Benu (Corey Lee)
- Sushi Yasuda (Mitsuru Tamura)
- Sushi Nakazawa (Daisuke Nakazawa)
- Kuruma Zushi (Toshihiro Uezu)
- Providence (Michael Cimarusti)
- Castagna (Matt Lightner)
- Elements (Scott Anderson)
- Momofuku Ko (David Chang)
- Schwa (Michael Carlson)
- Trois Mec (Ludo Lefebvre)
- Coi (Daniel Patterson)
- Next (Grant Achatz)
- Ichimura at Brushstroke (Eiji Ichimura)
- Atelier Crenn (Dominique Crenn)
- Marea (Michael White)
- 42 Grams (Jake Bickelhaupt)
- Oxheart (Justin Yu)
- Nozawa Bar (Tom Nozawa)
- Sanford (Justin Aprahamian)
- Sushi Zo (Keizo Seki)
- Commis (James Syhabout)
- Square Root (Phillip Lopez)
- Soto (Sotohiro Kosugi)
- Quince (Michael Tusk)
- Betony (Bryce Shuman)
- The Bazaar (Jose Andres)
- Birch (Ben Sukle)
For the full list visit the Opinionated about Dining website.