There are twelve new restaurants in the 51-100 positions of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants list which returns this year after the cancellation of last year’s events.
Ahead of the official announcement that will take place in Antwerp, Belgium on 5 October, the World’s 50 Best Restaurants has already released the restaurants that have made it to the second half of the list.
Among them are 12 new restaurants. The highest new entry is Alchemist, the Copenhagen restaurant the restaurant by Rasmus Monk.
Other new entrants are Le Du in Thailand, Sazenka in Japan, Willem Hiele in Belgium, Brat in the UK, El Chato in Colombia, Le Clarence in France, Ikoyi in the UK, Mil in Peru, Fyn in South Africa, Kjolle in Peru and L’Effervesence in Japan.
It is still early to draw conclusions on the full list given the top 50 still need to be known. However, there are three restaurants that have clearly fallen from the top 50. These are Schloss Shauenstein, De Librije and Alinea.
Earlier The World’s 50 Best Restaurants had already nominated Pia Leon of restaurant Kjolle, Central and Mil as the Female chef of 2021. Pia runs her own restaurant Kjolle in Lima, Peru and has been the driver together with her husband Virgilio Martinez of Central and now Mil.
In total, the couple could be named the power couple of the World’s 50 Best restaurants list given they have two new entries in this year’s list and their flagship restaurant Central is likely to figure again among the top positions of the list. The pair are also working on new restaurants in the Amazon, Russia and Japan.
There are a number of restaurants within the 51-100 position that have moved forward considerably. Among these are St Hubertus in San Cassiano Italy, The Jane in Antwerp, Oteque in Brazil, il Ristorante Luca Fantin in Tokyo and Vea in Hong Kong
Meanhile Ikoyi, which last week was listed as the one to watch made it to the list in 87th place. 2019’s one to watch was Lido 84 which does not figure in the 51-100 list which seems to indicate that it will be in the top 50 this year.
The whole list is below:
51. Nihonryori RyuGin, Tokyo, Japan
52. Uliassi, Senigallia, Italy
53. Nerua, Bilbao, Spain
54. St Hubertus, San Cassiano, Italy
55. Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare, New York, United States
56. Sud 777, Mexico City, Mexico.
57. Brae, Birregurra, Australia
58. Alchemist, Copenhagen, Denmark (New Entry)
59. Schloss Shauenstein, Furstenau, Switzerland
60. Mikla, Istanbul, Turkey
61. D.O.M., Sao Paulo, Brazil
62. Mingles, Seoul, South Korea
63. Sorn, Bangkok, Thailand
64. Core by Clare Smyth, London, UK
65. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London, UK
66. The Jane, Antwerp, Belgium
67. Oteque, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
68. Alcalde, Guadalajara, Mexico
69. De Librije Zwolle, The Netherlands
70. Alinea, Chicago, United States
71. Vea, Hong Kong, China
72. Le Du, Bangkok, Thailand (New Entry).
73. Il Ristorante Luca Fantin, Tokyo, Japan
74. Quique Dacosta, Denia, Spain
75. Sazenka, Tokyo, Japan (New Entry)
76. La Cime, Osaka, Japan
77. Willem Hiele, Koksijde, Belgium (New Entry)
78. Brat, London, UK (New Entry)
79. Aponiente, El Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain
80. El Chato Bogota, Colombia (New Entry).
81. La Colombe, Cape Town, South Africa
82. Indian Accent, New Delhi, India
83. Epicure, Paris, France
84. Le Clarence, Paris, France (New Entry)
85. Lasai, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
86. Restaurant David Toutain, Paris, France
87. Ikoyi, London, UK (New Entry)
88. Belon, Hong Kong, China
89 Amass, Copenhagen, Denmark
90. Mil, Moray, Peru (New Entry)
91. La Grenouillere, La Madelaine-sous-Montreuil, France
92. Fyn, Cape Town, South Africa (New entry)
93. Gaa, Bangkok, Thailand
94. Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain.
95. Kjolle, Lima, Peru (New Entry)
96. Astrid y Gaston, Lima
97. Attica, Melbourne, Australia
98. Alo, Toronto, Canada
99. L’Effervesence, Tokyo, Japan (New Entry)
100. Amber, Hong Kong, China