AMSTERDAM: Despite a government decision to allow restaurants to reopen on 1 June, Joris Bijdendijk, chef of Rijks restaurant has decided to continue to offer takeaway meals until 1 July.
Joris said that when the Dutch government announced reopening measures as from 1 June they allowed only a maximum of 30 people including the staff to be in a restaurant. “We’ve tried every possible option. We concluded that it was impossible for us,” Joris told Food and Wine Gazette.
The Dutch chef said their main focus was to survive the crisis with a creative and positive approach. The aim is to retain the whole team. “The best option for the time being is to keep on cooking the best possible Rijks ‘at home meals’ that you can possibly dream of until July 1. More than ever, we need your support to overcome these last takeout weeks,” he said.
Since the lockdown that forced the closure of the restaurant, Joris has been serving not just takeout meals in the Dutch capital but also breakfasts on Saturdays and Sundays to keep the business afloat.
Rijks will reopen for lunch and dinner as from 1 July. “We will follow the strict rules that have been put in place by the government. We will set up everything in a way that ensures the health and safety of both our guests and our staff,” he said.
The reservation system has opened for bookings already.
In the coming weeks, the terrace of the restaurant, housed in the Rijks museum, will reopen for bites and drinks on sunny days.The chef told clients to keep an eye on social media and the website for the days when the terrace will be open.
Last week, the Dutch chef also visited Haarlem and cooked at Olvijn. He is now inviting the restaurant to sell their menu in Amsterdam. The date will be announced shortly.