Pepe in Grani in Caserta is top pizzeria
If you are heading to Italy any time soon and are looking for the best pizza that you can eat anywhere in the world, then you need to take a look at 50 Top Pizza. This is the name of a new website and initiative to discover the best pizzerias in Italy and therefore the world. The website, that has just been launched, is the brainchild of Albert Sapere who believes that the pizza movement in Italy is like the NBA for basketball.
Sapere is curator of the site together with Luciano Pignataro, a journalist and Italian foodblogger as well as Barbara Guerra who with Albert created Le Strade della Mozzarella or On the Mozzarella roads which aims to raise awareness about mozzarella di bufala campana around the world.
According to Sapere, Italian pizzerias play a ‘world championship’ between them because not only are they exceptional artisans but also because Italy is the country which has the best produce for pizza.
In total 100 inspectors, all anonymous, have evaluated the quality of the pizza, service, the wine list and beer as well as the pizzeria to define the best pizzerias in Italy.
According to the guide, Franco Pepe of Pepe in Grani in the province of Caserta makes the best pizza in the world. They consider it a ‘relais and chateaux’ of pizza because the pizzeria also has three rooms.
This is a new project of Franco Pepe and his desire to experiment following his long standing experience as a baker. Pizza, research and hospitality are fundamental. Here, you can find ancient traditions such as the fragrant pizza “a libretto” (that can be folded like a booklet), the ‘madia’ (wooden box to make the dough) or the steel stove, that keeps pizza ‘a libretto’ warm so they can be offered to the guests waiting for a table.
On the website you are able to find information not only about the top 50 pizzerias the website has selected but a list of 500 in total which have been shortlisted from all over Italy. The following is the Top 50 list for Italy. On the site you will also find information of where to eat pizza outside of Italy though this section still needs to be enlarged considerably to be useful to readers. But is this the first step for the recognition of pizza not only as a culinary delight that pleases young and old but also one with gastronomic potential?
1. Pepe in Grani – Caiazzo
2. Gino Sorbillo ai Tribunali – Napoli (Best website award)
3. Francesco&Salvatore Salvo – San Giorgio a Cremano (Best wine-list)
4. Pizzeria La Notizia 94 – Napoli (Enzo Coccia receives an award for his career)
5. I Tigli – San Bonifacio (Best service award)
6. I Masanielli – Caserta (Best pizzaiolo of the year for Francesco Martucci)
7. Concettina ai Tre Santi – Napoli (Best takeaway)
8. 50 Kalò – Napoli
9. La Gatta Mangiona – Roma (Best beer list)
10. Saporè – San Martino Buon Allegro
11. L’Antica Pizzeria Da Michele – Napoli
12. ‘O Fiore Mio – Faenza
13. Dry – Milano
14. Sanrarpia – Firenze
15. Pizzeria Starita e Materdei – Napoli
16. Sforno – Roma
17. Guglielmo Vuolo a Eccellenze Campane – Napoli
18. La Masardona – Napoli
19. La Sorgente – Guardiagrele
20. La Kambusa – Massarosa
21. In Fucina – Roma
22. Pizzeria Da Attilio – Napoli
23. Piccola Piedigrotta – Reggio Emilia
24. Carmnella – Napoli
25. Pomodoro & Basilico – San Mauro Torinese
26. Percorsi di Gusto – L’Aquila
27. Pizzarium – Roma | (Pizza of the year award with Mozzarella di Bufala, mushrooms and prosciutto crudo)
28. Il Vecchio Gazebo – Molfetta
29. Berberè – Castelmaggiore (Best list of extra virgin olive oil)
30. Pizzeria Da Albert – Trento
31. Casa Vitiello – Napoli (Youth of the year award to Ciccio Vitiello)
32. Tonda – Roma
33. Korallo Pizza & Drink – Trento
34. La Braciera – Palermo
35. La Divina Pizza – Firenze
36. Pizzeria Apogeo – Pietrasanta
37. Ranzani 13 – Bologna
38. Lievito Madre al Duomo – Milano
39. Ristorante Pizzeria Le Parule – Ercolano
40. Mistral dal 1959 – Palermo
41. La Pizzeria Sud – Firenze
42. Pizzeria Montegrigna Tric Trac – Legnano
43. 10 Diego Vitagliano Pizzeria – Pozzuoli
44. La Campagnola – Bitritto
45. Carlo Sammarco Pizzeria 2.0 – Aversa
46. Sbanco – Roma
47. Marghe – Milano
48. Lievito Madre al Mare – Napoli
49. Fandango Racconti di Grani – Filiano
50. Pizzeria Di Matteo – Napoli